Sunday, September 23, 2012

ARTIST STATEMENT


If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

This quote has been a catalyst for my work for the past eleven years. When I am stuck in traffic or dropping my children off at school I often wonder how people are going to spend their days. Mine are spent wearing a respirator and noise cancelling headphones creating work that is hopefully stretching the boundaries of the very genre in which it resides. Art that has the biggest impact on me is work that conjures questions of your perception of things you thought you already knew.  Perhaps it is taking something incredibly simple and looking at it in a very complex manner. If my work is successful on any level it will create a visual pause. Demanding the viewer to take a closer look. In a society that is so enamored with having everything immediately, making work that reacts against this is my ultimate goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment